Date(s) - 12/04/2018
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Eagle Creek Earth Discovery Center
Hike & Seek is designed to be a true immersive experience for preschoolers. There is no set theme for these hikes. We will hike at the pace of our tiniest walkers, stopping to investigate things that interest us along the way. Children can best interact with nature when they are not confined to a stroller, if your child can walk, please plan to leave the stroller at home or in the car. If your child cannot walk, a sling, front carrier, or backpack carrier are preferred, though some trails will be stroller-friendly.
This session will meet at the Earth Discovery Center. Please arrive in enough time to use the restrooms and be ready to hike at 2:00pm. This trail is 1/2 mile in length and mostly flat. Restrooms and parking are available at the EDC. Please be sure to dress for the weather. This program takes place entirely outdoors.
What are the benefits of attending this program?
- You and your child will spend quality time outdoors building a connection to nature.
- Hiking is a healthy, physical activity to help develop gross motor skills as preschoolers travel on natural surfaces instead of surfaces that are paved and flat.
- Being outside is an experience for the senses! We see new things, touch new things, hear new things, and smell new things. Each hike is different.
- Preschoolers are encouraged to make their own discoveries. Hiking in nature can lead to questions and investigations.
- Hiking and spending time in nature can make some children feel peaceful and calm.
- Your child will spend time with peers. Social interaction is important for developing the skills required for communication and problem-solving as well as helping to develop empathy for others.
- Your child can set the pace. Once we have started out on the trails, if you want to walk a little slower or a little faster, that is perfectly fine. If your child wants to run, jump, hop, etc., the outdoors is a great place to facilitate that.
- You can determine the length of time that is appropriate for your child. If you want to walk for 30 minutes and head home, that’s fine. If you want to stay for an hour, that’s great too. You can leave any time you are ready.
- A naturalist/volunteer with be close by to help answer any questions you have about things you see along the trails.
- It’s fun!
- This program is free with park admission!
Please dress for the weather. Unless there is inclement weather, such as thunderstorms or tornadoes, each session will take place entirely on the trails during rain or shine.
We do our best to provide the most relevant and timely information to our readers, but please confirm dates, times, and availability before attending an event. Events are posted on IWK from information found on, but not limited to, attraction sites, government city sites; as well as submissions from individual attractions, press releases and PR firms. All events are subject to change without notice and Indy with Kids cannot be held responsible.