Date(s) - 06/15/2019
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Learn about and celebrate the history of Juneteenth and its significance in African American history. Then reflect on what freedom means to you!
- June 11-15: See a video created by Future Black Leaders of America will be playing throughout the day. This video will be exploring the question, “What does freedom mean to you?”
- June 13-15: Interact with three African-American interpreters in Civil War Journey. Engage with interpreters on a variety of topics including the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, slavery, or the raid on Dupont.
- June 15:
– Recitation of the Emancipation Proclamation @ 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. in Civil War Journey
– Hear a storyteller read African-American folktales to kids @ 11:30 a.m., 1 and 3 p.m. in Discovery Station.
– Join in on a moderated discussion with two actors portraying former enslaves recently freed on Juneteenth @ 12 and 3:30 p.m.
– Participate in ongoing discussion about the history of Juneteenth, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. in the hallway by Discovery Station.
– Participate in ongoing discussion about modern day slavery, and actions you can take @ 10 a.m.-5 p.m. in the hallway by Discovery Station.
– Add to our collaborative art piece about Juneteenth @ 10 a.m.-5 p.m. in the hallway by Discovery Station.
We do our best to provide the most relevant and timely information to our readers, but please confirm dates, times, and availability before attending an event. Events are posted on IWK from information found on, but not limited to, attraction sites, government city sites; as well as submissions from individual attractions, press releases and PR firms. All events are subject to change without notice and Indy with Kids cannot be held responsible.