Date(s) - 01/21/2019
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Events and Activities
Freedom Summer: 1964
Anything Can Happen Theater will be an additional activity in Woodland North. Using a box of props, interpreters will periodically lead younger guests in imaginative play.
11 a.m., 1 and 3 p.m. in Lilly Theater (15 minutes)
Mr. Daniel’s Music
Conner Prairie welcomes back Mr. Daniel, a local favorite, for classic songs of protest from the 1960s to contemporary.
11:30 a.m., 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. in Lilly Theater (20 minutes)
Willa Brown, Aviatix
Willa Brown started her career as a teacher after attending Indiana State Teachers College. Looking for greater challenges, she went on to become the first African-American woman to become a licensed pilot and the first woman in the US to be both a licensed pilot and mechanic. She went on to train some of the Tuskegee Airmen, along with running for Congress and working as an activist.
10:30 a.m., 12:30, 2:30 and 4:30 p.m. in Create.Connect (15 minutes)
Ongoing Throughout the Day
- Family Board Games – in Delaware classroom
- Imagination Playground – in Woodland North activity hall
- Archaeology: Black, White or Both – Can you tell which artifacts might have come from a historic African American community, a White community or would have appeared in either community? – outside Lilly Theater
- Tree of Dreams – In one of his most famous speeches, MLK told of his dreams for the future. Share your dreams for the future. – downstairs, near the elevator
- Gallery of Non-violent Protest, Past and Present – outside Discovery Station
- How would you protest injustice?
Draw a picture, write a poem, share with others what you would do to protest an injustice. – outside Discovery Station
- Craft Corner – Help with a collaborative art project.
- Food & Beverage – in Overlook activity hall
We do our best to provide the most relevant and timely information to our readers, but please confirm dates, times, and availability before attending an event. Events are posted on IWK from information found on, but not limited to, attraction sites, government city sites; as well as submissions from individual attractions, press releases and PR firms. All events are subject to change without notice and Indy with Kids cannot be held responsible.