Looking for some family night out ideas this month? Look no further. We’ve put together a list to help make planning a little easier for you. Check out our calendar for even more events around the greater Indianapolis area too. Share pics from your family night out with the hashtag #PLAYindy
- Celebrate the start of the great month of March with Read Across America Day on March 2nd. Your family can visit your local library for great books or an activity. Take a trip to one of your local little free libraries and grab a new book or leave a book for a for a friend to read. What goes better with a new book than a free dinner? Check out this list of Kids Eat Free locations all over town.
- Join Conner Prairie and Asante children’s theatre for a collaboration of culture. The event will bring historical context, artistic direction and professional actors into theatre. The event is on Sunday March 1st from 11 am – 5pm and is free to attend. It’s recommended for children aged 13 and up. Make sure to check out all that Discovery Station has to offer as well.
- Do you have children who love music and playing instruments? Head over to Bongo Boy’s Music School. The school will be hosting a FREE community drum circle that’s tailored to families. The event will be on Thursday March 5th from 7 pm -7:45 pm. Drums will be provided for a fun family experience.
- On the First Thursday of each month starting in March, your family can enjoy FREE admission to Newfield’s museum and gardens. Admission for 2020 will be on March 5th from 4 pm – 9pm. Special exhibits will require an additional fee. Fall in love with Newfields? Check out the Wee Wonders classes and Star Studio.
- Did you know March 7th is national cereal day? There are some great ways to celebrate this yummy day by:
- Having your own delicious bowl of cereal at home.
- Visiting the new higher life cereal café; featuring all sorts of delicious cereals to choose from.
- A Bowl of cereal and a movie at Newfield’s for a family friendly experience. On Saturday morning Newfield’s will show a classic movie the whole family can enjoy along with a cereal bar. The movie starts at 10am and is $6 per person.
- Checkout Animal Investigation at T.C. Steele State Historic Site on Sunday March 8th from noon – 1pm. Check the woods for animal activity and footprints and see who’s living at T.C. Steele during the winter months. The family program comes with a guided walk in the woods and a cup of cocoa at the end. The program is free for members, $5 for adult non-members and $2 for children non-members. Registration is not required.
- I think we’re all ready to see some green after this winter season, and what better way to start than by heading downtown to witness the Greening of the Canal. The Hoosier lottery will help Indianapolis (for its 23rd year!) to turn its canal into a beautiful green spectacle. The event will take place on Thursday, March 12th at 5 pm. There will be Irish music, food trucks, and special guests to start off the great St. Patrick’s Day weekend. Check out these other great activities to do on the canal.
- On the weekend of March 12-14th join downtown Indianapolis to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and Irish heritage. There will be a St. Patrick’s Day parade on Friday, March 13th at 11:30 am, Shamrock run/walk on Saturday, March 14th at 6 am-11 am. The parade is free & open to everyone, the shamrock run/walk requires registration and a fee. Check out this list of must-do St. Patrick’s Day events.
- March 21st is World Down Syndrome Day. GiGi’s Playhouse in Indianapolis is a Down Syndrome Achievement Center where families meet new friends in a safe environment. Gigi’s Playhouse provides the opportunity for individuals with Down syndrome and their families to grow, develop and network. On March 21st at 3 pm GiGi’s Playhouse will be hosting a fun Rock Your Socks Dance party. There will be dancing, snacks, crafts, photobooth and a costume contest. Check out this list of other great activities for families with special needs.
- Have you ever wondered how tortillas are made? Want to give yourself and your children a little tortilla making lesson and make some yummy food? Check out the tortilla making class on Monday March 23rd from 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm at the Indianapolis Public Library Warren Branch. Also, on Tuesday March 24th from 3:30-4:30pm at the Indianapolis Public Library College Avenue branch. The classes are free to attend.
- Sometimes parent’s need a night out and what better way than to sign up your kiddos for a fun slime event at Hendricks Regional YMCA. You can drop off your kiddos for this fun slime making event on March 27th from 11:15 am – noon. It’s free for members and $5 for non-members. Registration is required for this event.
With spring break in full swing at the end of March, there are lots of great staycation ideas for your family around central Indy. Check out this great list of things to do this spring break.