Just in case you ever find yourself on the far east side and need some ideas of things to do in Greenfield, Indiana, I have a list of great places to keep you and your kids busy. Who knows, maybe after reading this list you’ll load the kids up in the car and drive here just to see and do it all.
- Brandywine Park-900 E. Davis Road, Greenfield, Indiana
Numerous soccer fields and baseball diamonds as well as a play ground area for kids.
- Beckenholdt Park– 2770 North Franklin Street, Greenfield, Indiana
Paved trails through native grass prairie setting, wetlands, and ponds. We always see lots of wildlife while we are there.
- Hancock County Public Library– 900 W. McKenzie Road, Greenfield, Indiana
Perfect for cold and rainy days as the children’s area is closed off from the rest of the library. Awesome lego area, nature area, and lots more. Also check out their various story times broken down by age groups.
- Riley Park– Apple Street & US 40, Greenfield Indiana
Plenty of playground equipment for various ages with lots of spots to picnic. There is also a small walking trail along the creek, tennis courts, basketball courts and a skate park.
- Riley Home Tour
The Hooiser Poet, James Whitcomb Riley, hails from Greenfield and for a small fee you can tour his house and a museum. They give many tours to school groups, and would be ideal to take your child to if by chance they haven’t been before.
- Thornwood Preserve – 2770 Morristown Pike, Greenfield, Indiana
Five foot trails through a 40 acrea wooded area, offering various degrees of difficulty. Perfect for older kids.
- Eagles’ Nest– Corner of Apple and New Road, Greenfield, Indiana
A pair of nesting eagles call Greenfield home and you can drive by their nest and sometimes catch a glimpse of the famous pair. Please be respectful to the surrounding landowners when viewing the nest.
- Park & Rec Programs -The Patricia Elmore Center Recreation Complex, located at 280 North Apple Street
Offers numerous programs for kids. For a fee, both residents and non-residents can participate in Gymnastics, Art Classes, PeeWee sports, and so much more!
- Tuttle Orchards – 5717 N 300 W, Greenfield, Indiana
Offering agriculture products year round. While it is the perfect spot for apple picking in the fall, they offer a variety of u-pick product through the summer months. They also offer events throughout the year for children for a fee; such as Easter egg hunts, greenhouse tours, etc.
- Riley Fest – Downtown Greenfield
Held the first weekend in October, Riley Fest has lots of food and craft vendors located around the courthouse square and surrounding downtown side streets. Past years have had a kid section with activities and small rides.
- Pensey Trail – runs from 400 East to 150 West – 5.6 miles of paved trail.
Ideal for walking, running, biking, etc.
- City Pool – corner of US 40 and Apple Street
During the summer, the city pool is open for a fee and there is a splash pad coming soon!
- That Fun Place – 1608 N. State Street, Greenfield, Indiana
Arcade, mini golf, and more. If you get hungry they serve pizza and other food and they offer birthday party packages.
- Lark Ranch – 1611 N Meridian Rd, Greenfield, Indiana
During the fall months Lark Ranch is the perfect spot to take the kids to play. For a fee kids can pet farm animals, take a hayride, play in tree houses, bounce houses and so much more. You can even pick out a pumpkin and drink hot cocoa around a campfire while you are there.