Are you looking for free and discounted admission to your favorite Indianapolis area museums? Here’s a great list of free days and cheap days to visit Indy museums.
The algorithm is always the same. Kids plus school holiday equals “Hey mom, what are we going to DO today?” I’m sure you can imagine how well my usual itinerary of coffee not sipped from a travel mug, catching up on laundry, and a nap is received.
Local museums are a family favorite for my eclectic crew, but the admission prices can be a real deterrent. Thankfully, many of our local museums offer free and/or discounted opportunities throughout the year. Check out these budget friendly opportunities. The laundry can wait!
Free & Discounted Indianapolis Museum Admission
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
• There are four free days each year at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January), President’s Day (February), El Día de los Niños (April), and Christmas Eve (December)
• Plan Ahead and Save – If you buy ahead, tickets are as low as $18.75 (usually $24-28) for adults and tickets for kids are as low as $12.75 (usually $18-22). Under 2 years old is always free. Book your tickets now!
• Don’t Miss $5 First Thursday Nights – Enjoy the museum for $5 from 4-8 pm on the first Thursday of every month. Offered on the following Thursdays: May 3, June 7, July 5, August 2, September 6, October 4, November 1, and December 6. On First Thursday Nights, you can pay $5 per person to visit either the museum or the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience. For $7, you can buy a ticket to both! Again, this is only between the hours of 4 and 8 p.m.
• Access Pass: Families that receive Indiana state assistance may qualify for the museum’s Access Pass program.
• Neighborhood Club: The Children’s Museum offers free museum memberships to families who live in the museum’s six surrounding Mid-North neighborhoods—regardless of a family’s income or ability to pay.
• Free on President’s Day – February 19, 2018, 10 am – 5pm
• Free on Smithsonian Day – September 22, 2018, 10 am – 5pm
Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art
• Free on Juneteenth Celebration – June 16, 2018, 11am – 4pm
• Free on Dia de los Muertos – October 27, 2018, 11am – 5pm
• Community Tuesdays (first Tuesday of each month) – $6.50 adults/seniors, children/students are FREE
• Check out the list of special pricing and discounts for educators, students, military, AAA members and even Downtown Hotel guests or Convention Center attendees.
Indiana State Museum
Community Tuesday (first Tuesday of the Month) – 1/2 price admission
Indiana Historical Society
• Free on Circus Day – March 25, 12pm – 5pm
• Free on Independence Day – July 4, 10am – 5pm
• Free on Smithsonian Day – September 22, 12pm – 5pm
• Free on Statehood Day – December 8, 10am – 5pm
Rhythm! Discovery Center
Saturday, September 22: Smithsonian Day, 10am – 5pm
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum
Children under 6 always free
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Fan Museum at Fanimation
This attraction is FREE year round!
Indiana State Police Museum
Free year round
Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art (IMOCA)
Admission is free of charge
We try to keep information up to date. Please call ahead to double check pricing and hours.