Did you ever play farm when you were growing up? My sister and I did. For some reason we were both obsessed with farms, which on one hand doesn’t make sense since we lived smack dab in the middle of Orange County, California and on the other hand makes sense because both of our parents have farming backgrounds of some sort in their past — just not in our lifetime.
Our family lived on a large piece of land for our area and we had a garden and chickens and rabbits and a few other creatures (all of this was somewhat rare for our area). After school, my sister and I would change into our “play clothes,” grab our dolls and head outside for an afternoon on the farm. Sometimes we would play until it was dark. Our visit to Conner Prairie really reminded me of playing farm with my sister.
It was my first visit to Conner Prairie for something other than the Headless Horseman experience or Symphony on the Prairie, so I didn’t exactly know what to expect. Our first stop was at the animal barn to see all of the baby animals; sheep, goats, ducks. Lulu petted them and giggled and had a great time.
Our next stop was to the Conner Homestead and then on to the Lenape Indian Camp where we played in huts and participated in tomahawk throwing. Afterwards, we headed over to the 1836 Prairie Town which was exactly where my old memories of playing “pretend” in the backyard came flying back to me. There were characters all throughout the town living their daily lives as they would if it really was 1836 — they were dressed in character, spoke words that might have been used back then, had jobs and tasks that were common for those days and acted as if you were a part of that Prairie town too!
Lulu was asked to help load up a covered wagon with boxes because they needed to be transported to St. Louis. She and several other children and their parents loaded up the wagon and then were paid a fair wage of ½ cent. With that ½ cent we were able to go to the general store and buy something! We bought a hair ribbon and a “muddy” which is a clay marble. Later we met the potter that made the muddies in his shop. We pumped water and helped water the garden at the Gregory home.
The 1863 Raid on Indiana was Lucy’s favorite because she got to hold a baby chick and then spent an hour chasing the chickens and rooster around the town. We also enjoyed looking through all of the houses and speaking with all of the inhabitants of the town. But seriously, chasing the chickens was the best!
There is so much more that Conner Prairie has to offer but I leave it to you and your family to explore! Don’t forget to check out the indoor play areas including the Makesmith Workshop and the preschool favorite, Discovery Station.
Snacks and meals are available for purchase at Conner Prairie but you are also allowed to bring your own picnic lunch! There are picnic areas outside of the Café on the Common area as well as on the side of the Welcome Center. Conner Prairie is a great spot for a kids birthday party!
For current admission prices and activity schedules, visit the Conner Prairie website. Your family may qualify for reduced admission to Conner Prairie with the Indiana Access Pass. Conner Prairie also offers several free museum admission days per year.
13400 Allisonville Road
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 22 Aug 2019 - 09:30
- Escape the Prairie | Conner Prairie - 22 Aug 2019 - 17:45
- Children’s Music Series | Conner Prairie - 24 Aug 2019 - 00:00
- Sensory Friendly Morning | Conner Prairie - 24 Aug 2019 - 09:00
- Homeschool Days | Conner Prairie - 27 Aug 2019 - 10:00
- Escape the Prairie | Conner Prairie - 5 Sep 2019 - 17:45
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 6 Sep 2019 - 00:00
- Homeschool Days | Conner Prairie - 11 Sep 2019 - 10:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 12 Sep 2019 - 09:30
- Festival of Machines | Conner Prairie - 14 Sep 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 20 Sep 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 26 Sep 2019 - 09:30
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 4 Oct 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 10 Oct 2019 - 09:30
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 18 Oct 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 24 Oct 2019 - 09:30
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 1 Nov 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (4-5 year-olds) | Conner Prairie - 8 Nov 2019 - 09:30
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 15 Nov 2019 - 00:00
- Playtime on the Prairie (2-3 year-olds) - 6 Dec 2019 - 00:00