My kids love decorating Gingerbread houses. It has become a snow day tradition at our house. I stock up on random candy and icing and sprinkles and then one day when it’s too cold to go outside, we put drop clothes down on the floor (because I have toddlers) and set about decorating gingerbread houses. Sometimes I’ve baked them and sometimes I’ve made the simple one with graham crackers but it’s always fun for them and even the two year old can put gumdrops on along a roof lined with icing.
If your kids need some gingerbread decorating inspiration here is a round of Indianapolis area attractions that have gingerbread houses. Stop in and see some today then head home and get decorating.
- Art of Gingerbread Scavenger Hunt- Caramel Arts District. Visit the Arts & Design District to explore the Holiday gingerbread displays and participate in the First Annual “Art of Gingerbread” Scavenger Hunt from Dec. 3rd – 23rd! The first stop is the Simply Sweet Shoppe (30 N. Range Line Road) to pick up the gingerbread map look for businesses displaying hand-made gingerbread houses in their windows. Answer the corresponding question specific to the gingerbread house and receive a holiday treat.
- Starting November 24 Conner Prairie has a Gingerbread Village included with General Admission. Or be a part of the exhibit by entering your own Gingerbread house by November 10.
- The Children’s Museum
- The Indy Parks Department offers a couple Holiday Gingerbread House Classes at various parks for a small fee.
December 2 at 1 pm
December 8 at 10 am
December 9 at 11 am
- Members of the Indy YMCA can attend a Free Gingerbread Making event on December 1 at 6 pm.
- In Greenwood, sign up for a class to bake some up from scratch with Whisk Bakery and Catering. On December 8th for a fee, you and your child can bake a decorate your own home made gingerbread cookies.
- In Bloomington a party of 4 can build and decorate a Gingerbread House at the IU Memorial Union for $25. This event requires early registration and occurs the first two Sundays in December.