If tie dye is your thing, or you think it might be, then check out one of the most colorful maker spaces on Indianapolis’ west side in Avon.
The Tie Dye Lab in Avon
The Tie Dye Lab is the perfect space for moms and dads like me who like to let their kiddos make anything they want…but leave the mess somewhere else.
Bursts of bright colors grab your attention as you enter the storefront of this creative space. If the name doesn’t tell you enough about the activities available, then the beautiful tie dyed t-shirts, hats, pillowcases, drawstring bags and towels that adorn the wall will paint the complete story.
A unique date night idea, fun family outing, group playdate, birthday party idea for kids or morning activity, the Tie Dye Lab offers an organized, somewhat structured space for creating original, wearable designs using dye. Yes, you guessed it, you’ll be tie dying in this space.
Tie Dye Lab COVID Updates
At the time of updating this article, the Tie Dye Lab is offering appointment times and limiting the number of people allowed in the store at the same time. Employees are wearing masks and families/groups are kept separated at the different stations. Masks are available for dyeing. It is best to schedule your time online or by calling, but walk-ins will be accepted if there is space.
Preschool Story Time at The Tie Dye Lab
The Tie Dye Lab offers preschool story times that are hands on for parents and children. Up to 10 children participate in each session where they hear a story and then tie dye a themed item. Afterwards, children participate in a craft and enjoy a snack. The story times are offered in the mornings and evenings and last for about one hour.
Tie Dye Lab Hours
Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, 10am – 8 p.m.
Sunday, noon-5 p.m
How To at the Tie Dye Lab
- Choose the item you’d like to dye
- Select your colors from the examples on the wall
- Decide what pattern of tie dye you want to create
- Then the fun begins! Create your designs using the rubber bands at the tie station.
- From there, head to the dye station and use your squirt bottles to apply the color where you want it.
- Afterwards, your item is treated to a special ten minute process while you wait. During your wait time you can play games in the spacious waiting area.
- When your shirt is ready, you’ll head to the sink and rinse it out and then roll it to squeeze any excess liquid out.
- From there, pose for a photo at the social media wall and then your dyed item is place in a plastic bag with some detergent to use at home.
- Once you are at home, wash your item in the washing machine, dry it and then wear it!
It’s a very easy, stress-free activity. My children, age 2, 5 and 7 loved making their own designs. My two year old needed a little bit of assistance from me, my older kids needed only some guidance as they prepared their shirt with the ties (rubber bands) into the design they selected.
Tie Dye Lab has some great transfers they can affix to your shirt so you can represent your favorite local school or team. Seasonal transfers are available too.
Birthday Party at the Tie Dye Lab
The Tie Dye Lab is a fantastic birthday part place for kids and adults. You’ll get and hour and a half in the party space where you can set up your decorations and food. Up to 25 guests can decorate their own tie dye creation and more guests can be added for an additional fee. A dedicated party host will help your guests with the tie dye process.
Tie Dye Lab Address
The Tie Dye Lab is located at 8100 E US Hwy 36, Avon
8100 E US Hwy 36