Picking your own strawberries in Indianapolis at the u-pick strawberry patch is a summer tradition and Spencer Farm is a great setting for this delicious outing. Not only has this hot spot become a must visit for families during the summer months, but Spencer Farm is a popular place for families to get Christmas trees near Indianapolis.
Spencer Farm will have a limited supply of pre-picked strawberries available beginning at noon on Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
Spencer Farm Strawberry Picking
Spencer Farm has created new processes for public berry picking.
· Please use hand sanitizer before entering the market, or the u-pick fields. If you have your own, please use it.
· Very heavy congested times during strawberry u-pick season are from 10am-1pm Monday thru Saturday. Long waits are to be expected during this time. Try less busy hours, 1pm-7pm.
· You may not bring your own containers. Spencer Farm will mist all containers with quaternary ammonia before use.
· Please use credit, or debit cards for contact safety reasons.
· Please keep your family, or group in very close proximity of one another.
· Do not eat fruit in the field.
· No pets allowed.
Spencer Farm U-Pick Berries
One of my first summers in Indy, I spent an early evening grazing the fields, popping a berry in my mouth here and there and placing many aside in a cute green cardboard carton. Indy area strawberry farms open their gates and allow visitors to purchase pre-picked berries or head out to the fields and take part in a popular pastime. These days, I bring my children along and let them help me gather what we need to enjoy sweet berries atop our shortcake once we get home.
Spencer Farm is about 25 minutes north of Indianapolis in Hamilton County (7177 East 161st Street, Noblesville) but I would drive further for the fun experience that we had.
Before COVID, I loved going picking with other families and see them teaching their kids to pick and save the berries rather than shove them in their mouths.
During picking season (generally May – June) Spencer Farm is open 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 12p.m.-6p.m. Sunday.
The staff at Spencer Farm is very friendly and helpful; the facilities were clean and well kept. It takes us about 45 minutes to an hour to each pick 2 pounds of berries.
I recommend bringing a small bottle of drinking water for each of your family members and sunscreen. Sometimes we even need insect repellent, but generally only when we’re picking raspberries at Spencer Farm.
Spencer Farm has other crops like u-pick blueberies.
Spencer Farm Winery
Spencer Farm Winery is open to the public for wine tasting and purchases. Children are welcome.