Looking for things to do with children in Indianapolis this summer? We have thousands of ideas on our summer bucket list and we’re sharing them over the next 101 days of summer in Indy.
Indianapolis Summer Bucket List
Each day we’ll share our ideas for things to do with your kids. There are activities and events for all schedules. Some are free, some are cheap, and all are fun! For the past decade, we’ve published this list spanning from Memorial day through Labor day and it’s still our favorite thing to do!
While enjoying all your summer activities, tag your photos #PLAYindy on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Also, check out our free mobile app for even more summer fun!
Summer Fun Ideas in Indy
- Take a Ride on a Miniature Railroad.
- Go flower picking at these u-pick flower farms.
- Find fresh fruit when you go Strawberry Picking.
- Creek Stomping is tons of fun.
- Go on a nature/scavenger hunt.
- Make and fly a kite.
- Host a glow in the dark summer egg hunt.
- Eat donuts to celebrate Donut Day Indy.
- Have ice cream at one of our favorite ice cream shops in Indy.
- Watch the Broad Ripple Canal Rubber Duck Race
Indianapolis Area Favorites
These summer fun staples are favorites for families living near Indy or visiting Indianapolis on summer vacation.
- Spend some time exploring The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, especially the outdoor Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience.
- Plan your next adventure at Conner Prairie and explore their acres of history and fun.
- Do all of the things at the Canal in downtown Indianapolis.
- Visit the Indianapolis Zoo to see the newest residents: Alligators & Crocodiles.
- See Indianapolis from the highest points and the best views.
- Explore all of the family fun in Carmel.
- Build a Fort or a Fairy House in the Woods.
- Enjoy the delicious Strawberry Festival on the Circle.
- Go the Indiana State Fair (July 29-August 21, 2022).
- Take the kids to Daniel’s Vineyard.
Places to Play Inside in Indy
Indoor activities are plenty this summer, even if your typical favorites still haven’t re-opened.
- Jump the day away at Urban Air.
- Visit the theater for $1 Summer Movies.
- Shop at a Farmers’ Market for fresh food.
- Summer Reading Programs at the libraries are in full swing.
- Take a cooking class for kids or as a family.
- Indulge in one of these best Indy milkshakes.
- Have a Tea Party.
- Visit a children’s bookstore.
- Visit your local Library.
- Go play at an indoor Play Place.
- Paint Pottery or a Canvas at a local shop.
- Visit this DIY Tie Dye Lab.
- Ride a Real Train.
Where to Play Outside in Indy
- Watch an outdoor movie in Indy.
- Touch trucks, and see giant equipment at these Indy Touch-A-Truck events.
- Take advantage of DNR’s Free Fishing Day on June 4-5, 2022.
- Drive-In to These Movie Theaters
- Enjoy a summer concert in Indianapolis
- Splash the day away at a local splash pad or Spray Park
- Go swimming at these pools.
- Slip and slide at these Water Slides.
- Spend the Day at the Beach.
- Blueberry Picking.
- Visit an Amazing Garden.
- Go on a Nighttime Adventure.
- Visit a Farm Near Indy.
- Watch the Stars.
- Go Inner-tubing.
- See Baby Animals.
- Try a New Park.
- Horse Around with Horses.
- Rent a rowboat at a State Park.
- Have a Picnic.
- Visit a Nature Center/Park.
- Mini Golf with Kids.
- Cruise the Cultural Trail.
- Experience a Balloon Glow.
- Watch Fireworks.
- Play in a sandbox at a park.
- Play outdoor games with your family.
- Visit one of Indiana’s 26 State Parks.
- Go geocaching with kids.
- Take a Hike with your family.
- Art Parks & Sculpture Gardens.
- Eat on the Roof/Up High.
- Go Apple Picking.
- Ride a Bike.
- Go Fly a Kite in Indy.
- Visit a Story Walk.
Sports Events and Recreation in Indy
- Colts Training Camp.
- Archery with Kids.
- Free Bowling for Kids.
- Indoor Swimming.
- Try Duckpin Bowling.
- Check out the AlleyCats Ultimate Disc Team.
- Go Roller Skating.
- Learn a new sport, try disc golf.
- Rent the Swan Boats on the canal.
- Visit a Kids Gym.
- Go Ice Skating!
- Let them climb someone else’s walls.
- Have a Yummy Treat with the kids.
- Enroll at a local Vacation Bible School.
- Play late at the Sports Legends Experience.
- Take your kids camping.
- Sailing in Indy.
- Go Fishing.
Day Trip or Take a Road Trip Near Indy
- Swim in the quarry and camp at Natural Springs Resort
- Spend the weekend in Santa Claus, Indiana and play at Holiday World
- Visit Kings Island amusement park
- Hit the road for a weekend of family fun in St. Louis
- Go waterfall chasing at these waterfalls in Indiana
- Play all day or all weekend at these family friendly places in Richmond
- Spend a day at the beach at Indiana Dunes
- Explore and adventure in French Lick
- Road trip to Chicago for family fun and the American Girl store
- Join the pack at Wolf Park
- Go caving in southern Indiana
- Take a ranch tour and wagon ride at a bison farm
- Rent a cabin and play at the Abe Martin Lodge Aquatic Center
- Take a safari at the Wilds wild animal park
- Plan a weekend getaway to the Petoskey area